Thursday, July 12, 2012
MMA 4 CMT Let’s Make CMT Tapout!
Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT) is a slowly progressive peripheral neuropathy that results in muscular atrophy and sensory loss in the arms and legs and causes chronic pain.
MMA 4 CMT’s Mission is “Working to raise awareness of Charcot Marie Tooth (CMT) disease through the growing sport of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) professional fighting to their 31 million fans and to make MMA style training programs designed for and available to people with CMT”
MMA 4 CMT’s Aims & Objectives:
· Increasing public awareness of CMT so people can understand the effects of the disease
· Increasing CMT patient awareness of the types of symptoms that CMT can cause and the variety of treatments and aides available
· Reaching out to doctors who often struggle to diagnose the early symptoms correctly. Lack of correct diagnosis often results in disbelief of the severity of the pain and weakness, especially in children, improper treatments, and sometimes, unnecessary surgeries
· Implementing and promoting MMA training programs designed for people affected by CMT
· Contributing indirectly, through enormous exposure, to some of the organizations already working to offer support and services to those with CMT